Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 5-6

Day 5 was a travel day to Salzburg, Austria-- not the funnest. We need a picture of all of the luggage we have and how we actually carry it all when running for a train! I'm sure you'd find it amusing... the Germans do.

Day 6-- This morning was a rude awakening because we all "slept" in a double bed and woke up early to catch breakfast before we met our Sound of Music Tour-guide. Bruno took us around town in his yellow van with a girl from LA in the front, Olivia, Ben and Abby in the middle, and me (the extremely sensitive-to-car-sickness person) in the back. We drove around Salzburg and he pointed out some sites from the movie, made some stops, and drove us into some smaller Austrian towns. The lakes backdropped with the Alps were beautiful! We made a pit-stop for some apple streudel, ice cream and hot chocolate overlooking it all. By the time we got back, I said a quick thank-you and bolted up to my hotel room to throw-up (which I surprisingly didn’t…)

Grounds of Mirabell Palace, with Salzburg castle in the background

Lake in front of Sound of Music house (filmed in movie)

Church "Maria and Capt. Von Trapp" were married in (movie only)

After a rest in the hotel room, we went walking around the town shops, ate at a Turkish/greek spot, bought Abby an umbrella, and witnessed the strangest parade ever! At Christmas time, Demons parade down the street, hitting people and grabbing them, to whip the devil out of them… I guess to prepare them for receiving St. Nick’s goodness.


We topped off the night with a concert/musical extravaganza Austrian style (Salzburger Adventsingen im grossen festspielhaus zu Salzburg) in the location the Von Trapps sang their Austrian farewell. We didn't quite catch the story, but the singing was excellent and beautiful. I love their style of singing!


Pizza's always a winner at the end of the night!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love the pictures!! They are amazing and don't even look like they could be real. And I love reading about your trip. Keep blogging. Call me tomorrow if you have a chance.

e said...

yo yo! I wish I could come and visit you in Germany for a while! That would be awesome! It seems like it's amazing. The devil things are kind of creepy though, they don't do that here in Leaf.